Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gullibility's Travels

When reading about the seven families that ruled Israel over roughly 200 years following the Jewish nation’s division into northern and southern kingdoms, I completely accepted the argument that each ruler was worse than the former, and that God facilitated the leadership turnover as punishment for wrong-doing.

That acceptance played directly into Dtr’s hands. Writing and/or editing from the Judah perspective centuries later, Dtr had an interest in showing Israel’s weaknesses in light of its eventual fall to the Assyrians. My experience represents a perfect example of gullibility aided by ignorance, or at least lack of awareness. Fortunately I don’t have much trouble laughing at myself. Although reasonably happy with my previous Blogs, I plan to listen to the Podcast lecture before writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment