Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Defining Moment


[Silly thought exercise, don't even bother to read]

While reading Joshua I was struck by the expression "and the Israelites blessed God." I think of blessing as something a superior does to an inferior, or at least an exchange between peers. This passage prompted me to do some research, whereby I learned the many, many alternative meanings of "blessed," including to revere, beatify, make blissful or happy, and recognize as worthy of worship. The expression "blessed God" only appears three times in the Hebrew Bible: Joshua 22.33; Zariah and the Three Jews 1.28; and Susannah 1.60.

2 comments:

  1. Your search term is too restrictive:
    Neh 9:5
    Dan 2:19; 3:28
    Gen 14:20; 24:27; 1Sam 25:32; 2Sam 18:28; many other places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it. I did use a very simple literal search using the Oremus Bible Browser.

    ReplyDelete